KEY WORDS
- Rationalist: The belief of epistemology of people like Descartes and Plato (and possibly Locke and Hobbes, as politicians) the "I think, therefore I am" idea is accepted as a challenge for many philosophers to think of an idea without the necessary facts first. Therefore, people like Descartes are disregarded when trying to achieve the solution.
- Empiricist: The other sector, like Aristotle, Bacon and even Russell himself, use the superficial entails to conceive ideas out of facts and evidence alone. Think of Spinoza when Russell says that "Facts have to discovered by observation, not by reasoning; when we successfully infer in the future..." (pp. 528). This is perhaps why Bacon is less criticised.
Spinoza
Leibniz
Perhaps the most reputable and relevant philosopher of the three today, Leibniz's beliefs are similar to that of Descartes which mind and matter are completely separate matters. The spirit of "monads", as he referred them, had many contradictory factors. Where monads had hierarchical existence which say the dominant one is in the mind and has no rule of bodily functions, it is stated that in terms of a pre-existed harmony that 'windowless' (dynamics and perception) nomads do not affect each other. So how can they strike if they're regulated? B one big dream and, as we all know, our 'nomads' think alike anyway...Rubbish! This is perhaps Leibniz's biggest weakness, along with that a world is created by the "laws of logic" alone. What is most interesting is the question if the universe's creation as a cause by which God only knows alone (a.k.a the "First Cause" argument). One final point that is quite topical is the question of suffering and if evil must exist for the purpose that if we want a drink of water, as Russell says, it is more satisfying if we long for it rather than handed on a silver platter (think Descartes and "water" and "sorrow" here). God created free will so that there could be evil in the world, in summary!One Last Note...
I cannot leave this post without mentioning how utterly dire and banal The Matrix is. Keanu Reeves has to be one of THE most wooden and dopey actors I have seen in my entire life and that is saying something! Dialogue disasters and parody pickings, a fascinating concept was ruined by stupefying Hollywood producers and writers. I sat through two hours watching this tat and I will not get those hours back for watching a film which holds Plato on a pedestal! I feel ashamed as a former Film Studies student that I tortured myself with this...BAH! An unequivocal ZERO stars for this mess.
No comments:
Post a Comment