My Theme is Memory...

A New Year, New Topics and a World of Views!

Monday, 9 January 2012

And the Award goes to...

It is not every so often that in the age of early adulthood that awards, selected by a certain board of respected hierarchical employees, that the preempted award, when the recipient receives a prize with their knowing, becomes a figment of the past. To my surprise however, I had been the bewildered choice for an award in 'Progress' in my sixth-form college for work over the last two years. Although, it was of a much greater shock that the ceremony itself would be held in two days from the call I received, announcing if I had a letter from mid-December in regards to the RSVP of the ceremony. To think that I had always been punctual in college and maintain a standard of organisation, I was already quite the fool for this last 'Hurrah'. It was with many compliments to the organisers at Weymouth College that they sought my own spoken approval in regards to attending or not. 
The (printed) invitation to the ceremony.
The Programme (I'm 2nd on the left).
To be frank, I was expecting nothing quite to the standards of the academy in Hollywood or in Cannes, but the excitement of meeting former tutors and a small number of other sixth form peers who had also been the recipients of the award had overridden such misgivings about the layout in the college theatre. However, as Thursday arrived and having picked my closest family as guests, I must admit another faux pas in fashion choice as the clothes (despite ties etc.) were unfitting to the very respectable presentation of round tables, low-lighting and even a band to provide entertainment whilst guests were arriving. It was, in comparison to school ceremonies, a far more superior affair and with the benefit of programmes, I was able to acknowledge the flattering statements of one or more of my tutors in regards to grades and "credit" for the work I had put into my subjects. 


Receiving the award with Chef, Mark Hix, and
Interim Principle, Alan Birks.
As the evening got underway, I was once again though feeling too humble at some of the other students alongside the blend of subject areas and fields from engineering to performing arts. Whereas I had a very simple, if challenging, route of progressing to Higher Education, than it makes all the other recipients the more deserving for some overcoming adversity and longer periods of work to get to an advanced stage. Naturally, the college had invited one of its alumni to present the trophy and certificate, alongside head of departments announcing the awards and accompanied by a very hasty photograph so people could rush back into their cars and drive off (though the complementary wine and buffet was a nice incentive). After that, with some very pleasant dancing and songs (if one of them was somewhat downbeat, I will make an exception) by the creative students in the college, it was a relief once more to have a conversation with my former English and History teachers, as well as the head of sixth form. It was very surprising how much had been achieved in the intense courses of philosophy and having to write short stores, do presentations in four months alone. Of course, times progress and must inevitably change as everything else in this world has to and what seemed difficult in A-Levels then is child's play now in degree level. 


It is all the more sad that the college has cutback on its programmes in the campus and A-Levels have faced the biggest cuts with the entire department. It is with hope, along with economic and social recovery, that there will be a restoration of the areas that were most beneficial whilst leaving the frivolous in the bin. So, a big thank you once more to all more tutors over the past two years and to all the support staff who I could have barely done with out. 2012 shall be my first complete year of university progression and here's hoping that finish in 2104 (I believe) will be as memorable as this one...

The final snapshot of all the students with awards that night.
(I am the tallest one in the back with the grey waistcoat). 
With special thanks to my sister for taking the photographs with her iphone. I am reasonably impressed with the quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment