My Theme is Memory...

A New Year, New Topics and a World of Views!

Sunday, 27 January 2013

Poem for the Day - HMD 2013

To mark the tragedy of the German Holocaust and the other acts of cruelty across the world, I have produced a poem for the occasion:


September

There is no such thing as the State
And no one exists alone;
Hunger allows no choice
To the citizen or the police;
We must love one another or die.

W.H. Auden, September 1, 1939 (1939)

I
My Dearest,
                        When I lathered myself in a bar of flesh,
I thought of you, in those fleeting suds of small white
specks of times we had in the discothèques, embellished
in gold and the titbits we told when the men in black came in sight.
The morning after, standing here as I did then, cursing the rise
of a new morn, we banished away the ghouls and goblins, the dice
rolling, striking snake eyes no matter what. A knock on the door,
the Infernal Serpent stares for a moment through your blue
windows and salivates I’ll take you.

Like I said before, I later myself in that bar of flesh,
and think to myself, beauty really is skin deep.

II

When life never felt really certain and as my
troubles needed to be forgotten,
I could always count on you sweet Grand,
to say life really is never so rotten.

But when I hold steady the frame the still life
of an age gone by, I wondered
Why Grandma, what lovely locks without end here?
Her crown now – shaven, worn. A shallow desert.
She said:
Yes dear, and all the better it was for the world to see.
In a different time, a vintage wine lost to
tyrants of Destiny.

I regarded the loss of generations ago
and wanted to ask again, until
she had told the unseen nobleman
her face was her bespoken asset.

Then I cannot marry you, he spoke.
it was okay, for it’d already ended
when my fair locks had been broke.

III

On the first day of fall,
I felt the cold absence
of a hazy blue sky, with no call
from now birds flying askance.
The band played no welcome,
solid chambers empty of their cries
and the roll call that said the worm
will be there for Sunday worship, lives
dominated by the lies they told.
I believed in that once and even under
their lock and key, I didn’t turn cold.
But when the last trees shed asunder,
I’ll still count my blessings that I’ve
forgotten that dawn will ever arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment