My Theme is Memory...

A New Year, New Topics and a World of Views!

Saturday, 26 January 2013

Saturday's Story - Holocaust Memorial Special

To remember the events of HMD, which comes tomorrow, here is a special short story written to look back on those events.


Still Life

I always reassure to myself the act of plumping a loved one’s goose stuffed pillow fibre that good and virtuosity will be the ones triumphant in the end. That I do at least a degree of kindness by making those who are utterly disabled from doing their part, and in return I might look back on the smiling faces of gratitude, captured in their allocated frames. The only image I dread is Father’s – a softly focused, wistful look of bleak terror in the aspect of grey scale.  He never wanted another portrait after that last burst of luminosity and so my family for years were reminded of the history which could never be unlearned or concealed over and to unmask the great bogeyman which glared out of the glass sheath. The room from which I manoeuvre myself from now is the make-shift hospice where my Father can look at his small organs of pride over the years – commissioned portraits; that was his speciality. All beautifully engraved canvases of bleak, penetrating shades of flesh coloured beiges and olive green highlights for the Captain’s tunic. Of course, fashion was never Father’s concern. It was the face he always captured best. I remember his words now of “But such detail, my dear. Such exquisite features of the weariness of life in their lines, and no matter the spectrum of eye colour, they,” pointing fixedly to his irises, “have their story already panned out for their carriers. When life starts and when it all ends. It’s the orbit of our worlds.” Looking in here now, as the soft translucent veil billows in the wind, and soft hazy sunlight eases itself into the cream dominant walls, they look down on us as great tormentors of the present, the now. Which is perhaps my father will be on trial today. You, see it really was the tormentors he captured best.

“Must you have that wretched guard behind you, Father. I mean, for heaven’s sake, you can’t tell me you wish to be a condemned man on his…” I paused here. Softly gripping the bridge of my nose and squeezing my eyes shut from the phrase we both knew to be the unspoken truth.”

“We’ve spoken of this many times now, Lucia. I could no longer care if they found me a guilty conspirator of the guards or not. It will all soon be over.”

Moving swiftly to the brass plated headboard of the bed, I leaned over to shirk away the grip of the starring force which looked below on me. Each second I had to look up into its eyes, the more I felt increasingly powerless against its might. I could feel Father’s gaze on me, his sullen eyes wide open in his disapproval of my shameful act. Father never had the courage to shout on us as children. He would look upon us with the great shame that became so familiar to family life. I wonder if his subjects ever abused him in the same way when their faces weren’t captured in such a way.

“My dear…” He whimpered.

“I can’t…I cant!” I bleated, unable to suppress my fear of the force of the closing looks of hate coming alive in the room. “Send her away!” I could hear in my mind, the canvas refusing to give up on the resistance below. I gave up and circled my eyes across the gallery of faces pitched towards me. One even reminded me of an ex-partner and that just made the reality even worse.

“Why Father? Why must you keep these murderers beside you. Cold blooded murders!” I emphasised my last point in defence of the closing walls. He looked in that picture of innocence he was always so good at. It was just a job like any other.

“Because they chose me, that’s why. I survived on the very basis of my talent alone. A talent for bringing out the best in humanity.” His withered features sunk into the pillow once more, as the local constable came through the whitewashed door and immediately placed himself in-front of the fixed tripod with the device on top. At least there would be no prosecutor, though my Father would be pretty good on his own in convicting himself of the evidence interspersed across the set he was in.

“I must ask you to leave now, miss.” Commanded the young constable. What truth there would be in his words, I should never know until he was safe in the knowledge we could no longer reach him. Much like his subjects, I suppose.

*

Just outside the main reception room which covered the ground floor of the house, I greeted Latoya, our assigned liaison officer to comfort our rapidly diminishing household. What was left of those siblings that hadn’t flown the nest was the same one who cared for the patient in the gallery/death inside now, imparting his evidence.

“You know why we had to do it, don’t you Lucia?” inquired Latoya. A nice young woman from the Far East. Emigrated here she says because of the emotional ‘challenges’ of the British people. British I’m not, she says, but your family is not exactly at peace are they? It was her on-going joke as she tried to reassure us about the unspoken horror my Father could yet be responsible for. When we had reached the open plan combination of the living and dining area, we took opposite seats of the leather plated stools, she had already planned the careful arrangement of afternoon tea.

“I don’t understand, though. What he did was to survive the camp. You don’t expect a man to get very far if he’s suffering with rheumatoid arthritis do you?” I sounded somewhat hysterical, like even I couldn’t trust my own words.

“They weren’t just still life paintings, Lucia. You see…”

“Oh, for God’s sake, that’s all you people can tell me. Can ‘I see’, ‘do I understand?’ My father will be dead soon and you come here now, seventy years later to try and unearth some shocking revelation about him.”

She looked at me with the doubt of a psychotherapist who has just nipped the cause of the patient’s ills and was about to exploit it.

“Okay then. I’ll put it differently. There were portraits of the masses of bodies being tossed into their communal graves. The beatings of starved prisoners. And if we’ve got our records right, your father wasn’t the only one behind the camera.”

I sprang from my chair “Stop it! Just stop it! My father was an artist, he would never agree to those sort of demands. He was just as much a prisoner as they all were.”

“Then what are those burnt fragments of those scorched chips of wood in your loft then, Ms Field? Do any of them by any chance happen to be part of the lovely wood shavings your mother had planted in your garden? Is that the expression of your father’s art your family didn’t want you to see? What a pity your mother had that revolver beside her…”

Furious as I was, I towered over her and terrified of the links that once seemed so inexplicable.

“Don’t you ever speak of my mother in that way!” I shrieked.

I knew Latoya hated our sort. The sort that liked to keep the truth in images of the dead.

“Well, I suppose that ends our discussion. But ask yourself this – where do you think the bristles of your father’s brush came from? They’re much softer than usual nowadays.” She left then. And the following days, weeks that were to come, I no longer had a liaison officer.

Only then, after my Father’s death, did I really understand the love of his beloved men above. They went up in dust the day after.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment